Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Welcome to this big beautiful world, Reese!

I didn't really know how far back to start our birth story, so I'll just start in the beginning.

We found out I was pregnant the day after Christmas 2010. Even though it was a complete surprise, I can't remember being nervous for one second. It was such a calming and exciting feeling. I have always wanted kids since as long as I can remember, so I guess when I found out I just thought, "well, here we go!" Zach and I moved our wedding up to February and spent our mini honeymoon at Barton Creek in Austin. I swear the day we got back my belly started poking out more than ever! We all just KNEW I was going to have a boy.. so it was much to our surprise when the doctor said, "it's a girl!" Zach was taken back a little, but I just swelled with pride and joy knowing I was getting my very own little sidekick.

I had a very textbook pregnancy. I was very blessed to never swell, never got a single stretch mark, and didn't get sick very often; so it was a little weird when we found out Reese was breech and I'd have to have a scheduled c-section. I was ok with it, I was actually more nervous to have a natural birth. My doctor even laughed and said, "that is normally tragic news for some people, you're so calm about everything." I guess I've always had an attitude where I felt, ''if there's nothing you can do about it, then why stress?" I knew she was going to get here safe either way, so c-section it was.


Zach has been working out of town since we met... so i kind of just always had a feeling he'd be out of town when my water broke and it scared me. Thankfully, when I decided to not work anymore, his work let him take off, too. The Saturday we had her, he had woken up early to go play golf with his dad. As he was leaning over the bed to kiss me goodbye, I told him to hold on and jumped up and ran to the bathroom because I thought I had to pee... which also ended up being my water breaking! In my most innocent voice I said, "Zaaach.... You aren't going to play golf today with your dad...." He responded with an interrogating, "Why!?" I said, "well, my water broke...." Follwed by him, "are you sure?"... Guys are so funny... I wonder if he wanted to know if I was sure because he reallly wanted to go play golf..? Just then his dad got to our house and came in. Zach told him my water broke and we'd be heading to the hospital. I was so excited....and hungry....and wanted a shower. So I did both before we left. My parents made it to the hospital before us because they were so anxious... and his parents were trying to figure out why I was taking my sweet time eating cocoa puffs when I needed to be at the hospital!


We went into the triage room to prepare for surgery and the nurse said she'd check to see if the baby had turned so I could have her naturally...but at that point, I was prepared for a c-section, so I told her I was sticking with our previous plan. Our parents all came in two by two to wish us luck, give us hugs, and say how much they loved us. This was it...within 1 hour, I knew I'd be holding my baby girl. I had never been more ready for anything in my life. If you know me, you know how big of a baby I am. I didn't get nervous the entire time. I was even ok when they gave me my spinal block... Zach, not so much. They let him come in and stand by my head behind the sheet. He did so good. Just kept talking to me and nervously asking the nurses questions. I felt my doctor pushing and pulling around in my tummy trying to get my big girl out of there. At 11:25am, with Blake Shelton's "Honey Bee" playing in the operating room, I felt them pull her out and I heard the most beautiful sound ever... one scream from Reese's healthy lungs. I heard Dr. Turner say how she had a perfect round "c-section" head... but I knew better. She was destined to have a big noggin with Zach and I as her parents ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment