Thursday, October 20, 2011

Baby Love

I was reading through a few blogs the other day and I came across one that really caught my attention. The writer was describing that feeling you get when you look at your baby, and your whole body aches because you love them so much. That feeling you get when you just start crying and it's for nothing but pure joy. She called it a "baby love" moment. Every day since I've called Reese, Baby Love. It's the perfect way to describe her. When I look at her and see those baby blue's staring back up at me, all I can think, hear, feel, or see is love. I've quickly learned those are the moments us women are put on earth for....the reason for our entire existence.


It's safe to say I cry about 3 times a day. I am a 26 year old woman and all I have to do is see one big old mouth full of gums smile... and I lose it. It's easy to think when you're going through something awful, "God, what did I ever do wrong to deserve this?"... and I'm not going to lie, I thought that... but not for long. Now, when I look at that fuzzy little head, fat little cheeks, long eyelashes, tiny fingers and toes... I think, "God, what did I ever do so right to deserve this??" I thought when we found out about Reese's down syndrome was the darkest day of my life... but now looking back, it was the defining moment of my life. She defines me as a mother, friend, daughter, and wife. My whole approach to life and living this life has changed. I can't stand when people use the excuse, "I'm this way and I'm never going to change..", because let me tell you something buddy, PEOPLE CHANGE every day. As a girl, when someone walks into a room, I instinctively judge them from head to toe.... not now. Who cares what that person is wearing.. I have no clue what that person went through that day and what led them to their decision. They could have just found out their 1 week old baby has down syndrome... I have a different compassion for people than I did before. I'm not saying I was a bad person before, because I believe I've always been a fairly good person... I just feel much more at peace with myself and others than I ever have before. It's not that I want everyone to have a child with a disability, but I see now why everyone tells you how lucky you are and how blessed you are when you do. It has opened my eyes to a much more beautiful and loving world.... all because of Baby Love.


I've received an overwhelming response to this blog, and I couldn't be happier. I feel like this has been God's calling for my little family. We have so many family, friends, and even complete strangers who have reached out to us, telling us it has changed the way they feel and think and will continue to love their own families. I've had people tell me they've taken their lives and their kids lives & health for granted, and from today on, they wont any more. Reese will grow up knowing her specialness has impacted so many lives and families....all because she joined this world. Just wanted to thank all of our family and friends for the support you've shown us through these past 3 months.

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing...and she is just beautiful! Well written...and from the heart...love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara,

    I have never met you in person as we have only had countless phone conversations through our association with your job at American Services. However, after you told me the other day about Reese and sent me a link to your blog, I can honestly say I am a changed person thanks to you. You have touched my heart and soul in such a profound way. I have talked to you on numerous occasions about my one and only child, my pride and joy, the love of my life.....However, after learning of your family's amazing story and journey, I will never take another day for granted. I will be grateful and thankful for what I have and not be jealous of what others have that I don't. Life is too short and you never know what tomorrow holds....so enjoy the moments and get to living life to the fullest. Thank you for your inspirational story and much love to you and your lovely family.

    Connie Brassfield

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of those comments! I read your posts and it just brings tears to my eyes! Tears of joy for you & your beautiful family :)

    Sorry to post my website address on here... I couldn't figure out a way to post just my name and I don't have any accounts with the others they listed! :)

    ReplyDelete